Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Journey

They say "success is a journey not a destination." I'm not great about the journey part. I like to measure my accomplishments by the big result. I have to practice daily to stay in the moment and find suceess in the small steps. Yesterday's journey on the road to publication blessed me twice.

I went to see my critique partner Marykate speak at Georgian Court University's Authors Day. While she was up there offering her knowledge and expertise on writing she mentioned me to the group! My breath caught in my throat and my eyes teared up. While she was there for herself she selflessly told them to be on the look out for my work. How blessed am I to be loved like that? Every challenging step of this journey to write books and get published has been worth it just so I could sit there and hear Marykate tell her audience she believes in my work. Oh yes, that was full blown success if you ask me and right in the middle of the journey to being a pubished author! That was my first little dance with grace for the day.

After Georgian Court I headed over to my daughter's elementary school to speak to her class about writing. Those kids are great fun. I love the opportunity to inspire children to write. But at the end one little boy raised his hand and said my daughter was lucky to have a mom as nice as me! What a touching thing to say. That young man inspired me! My second dance with grace for the day!

Yesterday was definitely successful and I'm still not published this morning, but that's okay. Right now I get it and when I don't I can remember those moments, take a deep breath, and plow forward.

What journey are you on? Share with us some of your successful steps.

Talk to you later...

6 comments:

  1. How Sweet! I'm glad you had a successful day.

    There seems to be a lot of waiting on my journey at present (and a lot of hoping too). What I need to do is get back to my current WIP. Success comes in small steps with that, like figuring out a plot point, or writing a good scene, or just figuring out a character's name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey,
    I love that you said you danced with grace. How lovely! Yesterday was a nice venue for me to practice speaking in front of an audience and it was my pleasure to give others the heads up on what's to come with Stacey Wilk!!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the saying "dance with grace." I read it in a book and thought, "words to live by."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've hit a bump in the road but it's just altering my course in the direction I believe I need to go :)

    How nice to be acknowledged and promoted--a day of very nice accolades--aren't they great?

    Joanna Aislinn
    NO MATTER WHY
    The Wild Rose Press
    www.joannaaislinn.com
    www.joannaaislinn.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there, Joanna. It will all come together.

    ReplyDelete