Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Authors' Day

I attended the Township Of Ocean Intermediate School's Authors' Day. The Language Arts teachers chose roughly 60 sixth grade students who show an interest and ability in writing to participate in a fun filled day. The students are broken into small groups and for 40 minutes they visit with an author and learn something new about writing. Then they rotate to the next author and learn some more. Topics discussed ranged from writing about feelings, to point of view, working with settings, illustrating children's books, and writing in the active voice. Once again I am humbled by the students' enthusiasim and curiousity in what I have to say. I mean, who am I, right? I'm nobody famous. Yet they suck up everything I share with them like the little sponges they are. I relish the opportunity to inspire these young writers to continue on their path. To promote a child's learning is to be a part of something bigger than I am. A blessing, indeed. Talk to you later...

3 comments:

  1. Stacey,
    I know what a rewarding experience this was for you and just to comment on your "who am I?" remark...I'll tell you who you are: You are this exuberant, animated writer sharing her passion for the craft. It doesn't matter what level of commercial success we've reached when helping youngsters to feel their passion for something. You may very well have awakened a kid's inner desire to put pen to paper. So, that's who you are, kiddo. xoxoxo MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like author's day was great. Kids are awesome. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking to do something like this myself. Sounds like a great time. I happen to love middle-schoolers, too.

    ReplyDelete